Friday, January 28, 2011

Warm breezes on my mind

Another Friday night at the Smith house. Fred's was OK this evening. We didn't really do much, but the wings were good and plentiful. I'm not hungry for dinner any time soon. I tried a winter beer called Never Summer, and it was way too sweet. I had the last 6 oz in the house, too. I'm all about free beer, but what is the victory it represents when it is one you don't like all that much?

I did my expense account for January this afternoon. I'm under an injunction against travel, mostly as a corporate decree to reduce costs. I have not ben traveling as much, I know, but seeing just how many days I spent in the office in January is a bit daunting. In fact when I did travel I stayed with Chief and Rose so I have no hotel bills for all of January, and vey little in restaurant bills. If I can alternate between Portland and Spokane as a base, maybe keeping a set of golf clubs in Spokane so I can spend Quality Time with Mark and Anne, I can make something of this job?

I had this humungo proposal I was working on which went to the customer today, but it hardly justifies staying home all that much. I will say that the paperwork side of the job has been increasing lately and I'm not getting to everything I need to do. Writing projects, papers, advertising projects, and just plain paperwork responses for customers has been daunting. I'd love to know my word count for this past 2 weeks. Maybe I don't want to know...

I do need to talk about the Village Theatre production we saw Wednesday night, Anne of Green Gables. Everybody has heard of the story, but I did not actually know what it was about. It is wonderful. The stage production is a musical, and the music is really good. There is a bit of stagecraft involved in the production, and I would say a minimum of the obligatory dancing scenes that are just prancing about and not moving the story ahead, but the series of vignettes of Anne's life and the interactions she has with her adoptive "parents" and the friends she makes on PEI (yes, it is Canadian!) are really good. I've downloaded the original story (free on Kindle) and started to read it in the original, and so far I would say the production and the story are the same. Very nice. I remain impressed (really impressed) with the professionalism and production quality of the Village Theatre company. Everything they do is First Class, and boy, can they sing! Wonderful stuff.

(A small note: the production company has several pretty girls in the group, but I swear they aren't over 5' 3". They are tiny! Put a microphone on them and they can belt our their parts, though, and they do a great job.)

I'm hoping to get on the bike this weekend if the weather cooperates. I have Cousin John's recumbent and I want to see if this is something I can ride. Or if Judy will ride it. It looks great sitting in my garage, but this is not what it is supposed to be doing. Riding, that is what bicycling is all about. Curse you, winter! Where are my warm spring winds and sunny days? Kenny, damn you, the weather in Phoenix these days is what I want!

No comments:

Post a Comment