Monday, January 17, 2011

Rainy days and rainy nights

We have a trip planned for later today to see the rising Snohomish River. The flood stage is 25 feet, and it is predicted to go over 29 feet. Lots of water in the valley when that happens!

I spent some ladder time last weekend cleaning out the gutters. Chunks of moss that grows on the roof seem to break loose and fall into the gutters. They have quite an interesting life cycle if you think about it: clinging to the roofing tiles until they grow so big that they break loose and literally tumble into a wet trough of water. Some of the moss clumps that I pulled out were 3-4 inches tall, and seemed to have been there for several years (has it been that long?). No other nutrition source. No soil. Just sunlight, water, and air. Sounds idyllic.

On Saturday we visited River Meadows County Park and looked into the windows of empty yurts they have there for rent for camping. I look them up yesterday. $64/night. Seems a bit steep for a plastic tent, although they are very nice inside. For those who like to hear the sound of rain on the roof they might be ideal this time of year. At the time of my visit there were 6 yurts available and no renters. Apparently January isn't the peak season...

1 comment:

  1. I always change my routes to Monroe so that I can go over the Pilchuck and down Orchard Ave to see the river only several feet from the car. Hope the view of the Snohomish is awesome! I am going to head down there tonight after work. Keep the blogs coming!

    ReplyDelete