Sunday, January 16, 2011

Bread as a way to drown your sorrow

On the occasion of the last payoff game for my hapless Seahawks this year, I decided to make bread. This comes at the suggestion of Jillian, who knows how to make the most of every moment. I chose my favorite, an oatmeal bread made with milk and honey, and lots of bread flour. I used a thermometer for the yeast proof water and the scalding process, and what a difference this makes in the overall progress of the bread. The yeast literally jumped up inside the cup and threatened me with a knife! The blended oatmeal and scalded milk was a perfect 110F when the yeast was added, and the first rising of 45 minutes was all it took. I formed the loaves and let them rise for 30 minutes, and then into the oven for 50 minutes. They came out perfectly, and my girls here are enjoying hot slices with butter, with steam rising from the freshly cut pieces. I have to admit it does smell terrific. I added a bit of honey to the milk mixture to sweeten the loaf slightly. I wish I ate bread...

But as for the Seahawks, it was too little, too late. They came roaring back with 3 minutes to play and scored a bunch of points, but it was not to be. I hated to see Carlson knocked out in the first half and carried off on a stretcher. Ditto with Trufant in the second half. Terrible stuff. Since I have ridden bicycles with Mike Utley who was paralyzed below the waist in a similar impact many years ago, I feel for these guys and hope they are not rendered inoperable. Football can be a meat grinder at times.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you took the bread-making to heart! I just made some rolls, called "Crown Loaf" from my BREAD cookbook, and they are definitely, hands down the most delicious rolls Will and I have ever had. Apparently you passed on your great bread-making skills, oh wise father. I just remember your stories of bread making and Monday night football. I figured Sunday would be just as good.

    I look forward to reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete