Thursday, April 7, 2011

April Doldrums

Sun! I saw the sun today. It was playing hide and seek with big fluffy clouds, but late in the day it was definitely out. Wonder of Wonders.

I was more productve today, probably because I'm feeling the heat of a deadline. Slogging away at a large project can go on indefinitely, with me trying to make the final product look good, then better, and so forth. It is a recursive and asymptotic impossibility to make the thing actully great, and I don't honestly have the interest in trying anyway, so having a deadline makes it possible to cut off the work and just live with what you get done. Providing it is perceived by others to be superior work, my own criticism may not be all that important.

Next week I will be in Atlanta again, and the folks there are mostly going to be gone. I am trying to set up a visit to a mill in western Alabama, what should be a 5-6 hour drive from Atlanta. The road time will do me good, and I need to remember to bring one of my lecture series with me, as I will be making this trip solo.

Speaking of new CD's, I have acquired a 2 CD set of Ecstatic Chanting music, also called Kirtan, from Jon Witte. This stuff is pretty neat, and although I don't count myself in the ranks of the Truly Washed, I do rather enjoy some of the chanting songs. As a way to get into a meditative mind set, this seems to work.

The girls and I had dinner tonight at the Cathouse Pizza. This was not too bad, actually. We shared the signature pie with a beer (Mac and Jack for me), and chatted with the waitress who we all agreed looked like Sandra Bullock. The Master's was on several HD screens in the background, and I don't think I've watched so much golf at one time in years (and that is couting the times I have actually played golf myself!). We had a good experience, and I'm sure we will be back there again. Next time we try Fred's pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment