Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A longer discussion of what is happening

I work from home. I don't usually go out of the house, other than to go to the Y to play basketball at noon. Judy and I share an office space for about 4 hours a day, since she goes to the Y in the morning and doesn't show up in the office until about 10:00, and I depart at 11:40 to dash to my game. So, if all this is true, why do I feel that I shouldn't just sit around in my old nasty blue jeans and skanky t-shirt? And I feel that should NOT sit around in these disreputable clothes, but instead should try and dress up a bit.

Today I wore nice pants, a nice shirt, black socks, and my good shoes. I still just sat at my computer and worked on stuff, and answered the phone and all that. But my dress made me feel better, and I liked the change. I plan to do this more in the future. Dress for the job you want, they always say. I'm dressing for the job I used to have.

The sun came out this afternoon and I wanted to get out into it. Juruf and I headed out at about 5:00 to the driving range, and we both hit some balls. Judy is giving it at least some effort, and she was able to drive a ball to the 75 yard marker in the air on several occasions. My poor teaching did not hold her back too much.

By a stroke of terrible planning I have managed to book myself on a flight on Sunday night to Atlanta. I arrive on Monday morning at 6:00 eastern time. For some crazy reason my Outlook calendar does not show holidays, and I am dumb enough not to know that May 29 is Memorial Day this year. So there I will be, in Atlanta, planning to work in the office for the day, with the office closed and everyone enjoying a day off. I have been invited to play golf with Ken from the office, and he invited me over to his house later to share in the grilling of some dead cow or some such, so the day will not be wasted, but honestly, I would have rather been home and traveled on Monday night. The change fees were just too much for me to deal with, so I swallowed hard and just cursed my stupidity.

The next weekend we will be partying with the Trempers in Gatlinburg, TN. Judy, Clint, and Shannon fly down to Atlanta on Thursday where I pick them up, and we all travel to the fun city for a weekend of family rememberences (even though I don't really have many with the Trempers that don't deal with the wedding...). My Atlanta buddies all know the area, and they are encouraging me to see different things. Apparently fudge is popular there, and bar-b-que. How far away is the Jack Daniel's distillery, do you think?

We fly home on Sunday, June 5. On Monday, June 6 I fly to Kansas City, and then have an all day meeting with customers set for Tuesday. I am hoping this works out well, as this project will actually go into a plant in Klamath Falls, OR, and I have bid equipment from about 5 different companies. BRUKS is on the "short list" which means that I have probably priced the project too low, but even so we can make good money if we get the order. Besides, my job is to sell, not walk away from difficult projects.

There is more to tell, but there are more days for blogging. I'll leave it at that for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment