Sunday, May 22, 2011

Where is Summer?

Another week has passed and my blogging has been nil. i apologize. What's the sense of being the Traveling Man if i don't keep you all up to date with my traveling? I might as well be the Stationary Man, for cripes sake!

Last Sunday I departed home at 5:00 pm after an early dinner, and headed to Eugene, OR. I hooked up my iPad to my Aux input and listened to a book on tape, called "The Man Who Loved China" about a very special guy from Britain who was sent on a diplomatic and scientific mission to China in the 1940's. I'm about half way through it now, and I find it very interesting.

Monday I traveled down to Roseburg and visited the BRUKS mobile chipper that was processing tops and branches on landing sites in a harvested valley in the mountains. Very pretty area, but also quire exposed. Then I drove back to Eugene in the afternoon and met with a company there. I visited a really neat clock store that had maybe 10,000 clocks for sale, and included a back room with all sorts of collectible antiques like model trains, airplanes, shaving equipment, cameras, and others sorts of neat old things. Dinner at the Hop House, a local brew pub. Very nice end of the day.

Tuesday I was up and out by 7:00. My destination was Lyons, OR, a veneer mill that needed a chipper. My visit was short, and the mission was a bit of a wild goose chase in as much as the application is not "main stream" but is a bit difficult. Why can't I get the normal projects where what the customer wants is something we can supply?

I was home Tuesday night, and home Thursday through Friday. Friday was beautiful and I took the day for a game of golf with Bill Duprey. We had a great time, We played at the Carnation Golf Club as a part of a coupon deal over the internet. Golf cart, 2 guys for 18 holes, with a $5 voucher for lunch, each. The course was a bit wet (like, water hazards on every hole!), but the course was still pretty fun to play. We had a great time. Bill is a lot of fun to have as a partner.

Saturday I spent the morning cleaning up road trash as a part of a crew from the UU, and worked at home in the afternoon doing the lawn and working with Juruf cleaning up around the place. I go to run the chipper for a bit. The weather was a bit iffy, with clouds and just a bit of misty rain.

Today I did 35 miles on the bike in the morning, and then maybe 15 holes of golf at Flowing lakes GC by myself. My hip is killing me, and my right knee. Too much walking I guess. I am applying a bit of rum internally to help stem the pain, and it helps. My game was OK, and I did get a par several times, but there was the occasional nasty shank that kills my confidence. Still, my putting is great, and I hit 2 out of 3 chips. That is a good thing, right? I hit par on several holes.

I vow to do better with my blogging. I don't get comments, so how do I know how I actual do? You have to tell me.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about no comments=do people actually read?

    Sorry I can't be there to play golf with you. I'm sure my game suffers terribly after so long. I'm glad you have a good golf partner, though. That seems to make a huge difference. If they challenge you, great. If they're just fun to be around when your score sucks, even better. That's a good golf partner. ;-)

    Thanks for the call last night. Good to hear from you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes: We read your postings. Both of yours. It isn't always easy to make up a response. But we notice your goings on.

    Last night was John Cooper's 75th birthday. He had a little party that was fun. He lives the life of an urban gentleman in a high rise in the Pearl District---seventh floor, corner unit with balcony, a concierge on the entry door. We felt honored to be admitted.

    Coke Henion stopped by to insure that none of us had been ruptured, or whatever was supposed to happen on the 21st. I noted that he was still here, so believing won't save you and it didn't save him. What a crazy idea.

    Flowing Lake is a fun course. It has some difficult fairways and some goofy approaches. I think Duncan and I got mixed up on one green but there was no one to ask so we just kept on going. Too bad you couldn't have shot some hoops to round out your day Sunday. Keep up the good work everybody.

    ReplyDelete