Wednesday, June 8, 2011

GA, TN, KS, and Home

I find it ironic that the more I travel, the less I blog. It seems that the process of pulling out my iPad and jotting some thoughts as I fly from here to there just doesn't seem to happen. Clint may be to blame. He introduced me to a new game called Plants vs. Zombies, and I can report that I have achieved Level 5-5, but my overall productivity may be somewhat off.

Let me catch you up with where I have been. Memorial Day found me at the Crystal Falls Golf Club, in Ball Ground GA. I played a round of 18 holes with 3 others from BRUKS and had a great time. I flew overnight, hit the ground running, and we tee'd off at 10:50 at a temperature of about 88F, and it quickly went to the mid-90's. I did OK, for me, but I was the worst of the 4 of us. The heat, the beer, and my tiredness combined to fell this oak, and when I got back to the room I literally fell asleep immediately. I napped for 2 hours, and then went out for a simple dinner.

Tuesday I spent in the office interviewing applicants for a position we had open. Wednesday I drove from Atlanta to western Alabama, and I had lunch in Tuscaloosa, AL, in the area of recent devastation. Thursday was half in the office, which including extending an offer of employment to one of the candidates, and then off to the airport to pick up Judy, Shannon, and Clint for our Tremper vacation in the Smoky Mountains! Actually they took the Marta to save me some time!

Anyway, on the way to the vacation my rental car was rear-ended. I had a sort f premonition about this, so when it happened I was mentally prepared. Interestingly the offending driver contacted Progressive Insurance, and they called me with the incident number and the necessary contact info, so when I turned the car in it was no problem and I was not required to pay anything. How many rental cars do I rent in a year, and this is my second incident. Pretty good record, I think.

We stayed Thursday through Sunday at Gatlinburg, TN. What a great time to spend with all the Trempers! We were 15 at the zenith, and we all had a great time. Hiking in the mountains. White water rafting on the Pigeon River. Beer drinking. Eating. Visiting with close and distant relatives. Bears walking through the parking area. Corn hole! Playing pool in the basement. Hot tub sitting with 8 people at once! Sitting on the porch playing games. Just hanging out. It was wonderful.

No sooner did I get home but I headed out to Kansas City on Monday, and spent the day there on Tuesday. It was in the high 90's and clear, but it didn't seem all that hot. I had a very good meeting with my customer, and that project looks like it will proceed with my company supplying the equipment, so things are going well.

Today I played basketball at the Y at noon. Having not played in 2 weeks my game was a bit off, but at least I got sweaty running around. I need the exercise.

More trips are planned, but I will let the next posting cover those. Keep traveling! Keep your eyes open! Have fun!

1 comment: