Friday, March 18, 2011

What a week

688 miles on the Prius this week. I traveled to Eugene OR to attend a conference Tuesday through Thursday. The conference was held in the Eugene Hilton, which I know sounds very nice, but from my perspective is a bit boring. I stayed there last April at another conference, and I used to schedule my own conferences there in the early 2000's. In fact, I had a WesTAG conference at this same hotel September 12-14, 2001. Does the date ring a bell? What a disaster! Nobody who flew could come, and we lost our shirts on that one.

And rain!! Terrible. It was nice as I drove home yesterday, with some sun in the late afternoon.

I did get a chance to visit with my mother, and took her to dinner on Wednesday night. She seems to be doing as well as can be expected. She looks good. The short term memory bit is still a challenge. She can't remember things from moment to moment, but has a good memory for things long ago. We ended the evening by joining a sing-along led by one a son of one of the other residents of the facility, and it was very nice. It was good to see people who are in many ways almost comatose, but when songs of the 1920's and 30's were being sung, could at least lip-sync, if not actually sing along. The mind is a strange place for memories.

Tonight is BQ, and the topic is Arete. Excellence in life, excellence in living, and excellence in personal perspective. To what extent do we all strive to achieve Arete?

No comments:

Post a Comment