Thursday, March 3, 2011

A note about work

The company I work for is an engineering company. It does not actuallly make anything. We design stuff, sell it, adn then get others to actually make it. This is actually a viable business plan, and mostly it works well. It tends to have a problem only when the volume of things we sell is greater than the ability of the "project execution group" to actually get the stuff done. I think we have hit that point.

We have forecast $26 million in sales in 2011. That sounds like a lot, but let me put things into perspective. In January we sold 5 projects totalling $11 million. This week we have received commitments from 2 different projects that amount to $8 million. I have a project in Nova Scotia where we had a sort of kick-off meeting this week that will become a project in April that is worth $6.2 million. Help me out... This adds up to $25.2 million already, and we are still in the 1st quarter of the year. I personally have more projects that I think we will book, that might add another $17 million before summer. And the boys in Atlanta have their own projects at a similar level. We are hiring engineers in the Atlanta office, and 2 start on Monday. I don't think this is enough.

Can I take off the rest of the year?

1 comment:

  1. I think your company and mine have the same problem. I think I deserve the rest of the year off, too! Let's do it!

    ReplyDelete