Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Summer! It found us!

Man, I've got to blog more. I am so behind on things that are going on. You all deserve better!

We made a pact in our house - no more complaining about the weather. Rain is a way of life. so, once we made this pact the clouds dispersed and the sun came out. It is WONDERFUL and we are all loving it. Warm. Sunny. Summer. yippee.

Saturday we visited John and Ginny in Moses Lake. I borrowed his bicycle last fall and I felt guilty still having it my garage when it could just as easily have been in his garage. Judy, Marilyn, and I all drove over, and we brought our friend David Oldham from Kentucky. He hadn't really seen the dry side of Washington, so we gave him a proper tour. Moses Lake was quite nice when we were there, and our visit back through Dry Falls was educational and very interesting. It seemed like a long day to me, but Marilyn was very interested in the history of my state, and the distribution of my relatives. We drive through Douglas, and Farmer, and Waterville. If you don't know, Waterville is named for the one thing that there is none of. Really.

The 4th was quiet around here. Did I say quiet? There were explosions all over, with the neighbors clearly enjoying the freedom to be crazy on the 4th! Judy was in her element - she loves fireworks and explosions. She was out on the deck watching them all. I went to bed early, and she enjoyed the display.

This week is so beautiful aroung here it is hard to stay working. The sun is out, and I feel like golfing/bicycling/kayaking. What to do? It is a hard decision.

I'm thinking about Idaho in August, and how much fun we will have just kicking back and enjoying the space there. Fro the 6th to the 14th or so, we will be in Kellogg, bicycling, visiting, golfing, and being. I can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you're back. I missed you. I typed a long comment on your previous post and then bungled the posting. Maybe I will do better this time.

    That's harsh---foregoing complaints about the weather. Don't think Rose and I could get through a day without some bitching about weather conditions. Our tomatoes are happy with the new turn of the temperature. We have several tomato berries swelling on the copious vines.

    Rose is off the massage parlor this morning. We have been reading that massage is more effective than chiropractic for lower back ache. At my insistence Rose is testing this view. I hope it is true that massage is helpful. She aches pretty much all the time.

    I've got about a dozen books going on Kindle on the PC. Every day a new and exciting title is on the news and I've been too indulgent about down loading them. There is a Kindle in transit for Rose. It was supposed to arrive yesterday, but now it is due today. She shuns most technical stuff---let's see how she makes out with this. I'm happy with Kindle on the computer. I have magazines as well as books in print.

    The lost comment contained a long discussion of a geology field trip in the Methow valley that I found on the internet. It is pretty out of date but it identified a lot of rock formations that I didn't know. It had no mention of the glacial history of the valley (actually, a basin, a graben that is sliced in two with the eastern half now in British Columbia about 60 miles north and a little east.) It would be fun to follow the itinerary of the field trip just to see some of the sights. Too late now. It's surprising to me how much geologic history gets corrected as new information and new methods of analysis are used. I like surprises.

    Joseph Heller caused Nathan Gold to say "all change is for the worse..." and when it comes to health news that is mostly true. So I won't tell you any.

    Keep up the good work. Don't squeeze the grips so tight on your golf clubs. It makes your shots go all over the course.

    ReplyDelete