Friday, February 11, 2011

Basketball and a Friday Beer

I haven't played basketball for several weeks, as I hav been suffering from a painful right leg tendon issue. Bicycling doesn't seem to bother it, but at times the twisting and turning of hoops does. It has been feeling better, so I tried it out today. Very nice. I was able to run without pain, and I did. I shot well, scoring several baskets in the first set of games, and the winner in the final set. Most were from 3-point range, which was very satisfying. When younger I used to think that constant practice was needed, and I did practice at home, at school, and so forth. As an adult whose roundball career has seemed to stretch beyond all practical reason, my "skills" seems to have become innate. I practice and that does help, but the determining factor seems more to be attitude, positive thinking, and how I generally feel. I can hit a 20 foot jumper most of the time, but I miss when I am not paying attention, or at least not the right sort of attention. Pain distracts me, damn it.

What better way to end the week than with the kids coming over to eat Gulyas, and drink a beer or two. They better show up pretty soon or they will be a beer behind (or 2!). Gulyas, or Goulash as some people say it, is wonderful stuff. Curly noodles are the base, topped with beef chunks, peppers, tomatoes, and a soup-like sauce flavored with paprika. We have some nice hot paprika just now that makes it spicy with a bit of a bite. I think it is great, really. I smell it cooking, and I have a hard time waiting.

I love ethnic food!

3 comments:

  1. Ahh, I wish we were there to drink beers and mingle! Will would eat the Gulyas (and love it), and I'd definitely partake in the noodles.

    What's up with your leg? Sore? Or did you do something to it? And what about wallyball?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kicking a ball for Riccia for years has left my right leg with a bit of tendonitis. My right hip joint goes out from time to time, and that puts my knee out, too. Chiropractic adjustment seems to help, as does not running on it. Right now it is fine.

    Walleyball is generally OK for my leg. I have found that the twisting motion necessary to play walleyball can put me in some pain, but I played on Tuesday and everything was fine.

    The gulyas was good, of course. The collected Trempers were in fine form. BTW, we got a new game at Christmas called Sjoelbak, pronounced like "shell-bok", that is a bit like shuffleboard. You shoot wooden pucks through 4 openings, each of which has a certain point value. Everybody likes playing, and we even tried a "shots" version, but that didn't really catch on much. There is a huge portion of the game that is ruled by randomness, but there is also a part where a player actually feels his puch shooting ability may have something to do with the score. Fools that we are, we think that the puck going into the hole was based on our ability to shoot it in! Ha! Idiots! Anyway, we are hainvg a good time with Sjoel. (Sjoelbak is a Dutch Game, sold by a guy I know in Portland. www.dutchgames.us Check it out.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the Gulyas was SO good! Allison really enjoyed getting to spend an evening with you guys and liked the shuffleboard. Not too many homes in FL with that kind of fun!

    ReplyDelete