Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Salem Reflections

With the beautiful summer weather now a fading memory, the fall rains have started to fall and I've even seen snow on Mt. Pilchuck down nearly to the bottom. Over the weekend the snow level fell to 2,500 feet, low enough to remind us all that winter is real, and is just around the corner. I need to get the Blizzak's out and ready for installation on the trusty Prius.

Here in Salem the rain is falling and the temperatures are cool.  I'm wearing the pullover nylon tops I favor at home when the house is cool during the day.  In the office the temperatures are OK and I take it off, but when I am out and about it is a comfort, and here in the room I leave the window open a bit to let in the cooler evening air.  It helps me sleep.  This week I am at the Howard Johnson's, selected on Hotwire.com for $35/nite, with an all-in price of $135 for 3 nights.  The room is spartan but clean, the shower is hot, and they serve a breakfast that includes cereal and a banana which are my favorites.  I tell Judy that I live like a monk when I am here, and that is almost literally true.  A monk might have more to do in the evenings than I do.

Last night was Monday, the day of the last Presidential Debate.  I watched it.  The pundits on NPR today confided that Obama supporters thought he did well, and Romney supporters felt their candidate also did well.  If that is true then all it really showed was people's ignorance about the Middle East in terms of the geo-political and geographic relationships there, and how impotent the USA is in affecting lasting change there.  Obama was the better of the two, and seemed Presidential in his command of the facts and actions taking place there.  But he would.  I have been in this position before: a Republican candidate scares me with his conservatism and naivete, but when elected the mantles of the office are so constraining that he is actually rather limited in his ability to make changes.  It is true on both sides - Democratic Presidents have the same problem.  It is devilishly hard to make anything happen in DC.

Dinner tonight is leftovers from home.  Same as last night.  I went to Trader Joe's last night and picked up some spicy hummus and crackers for an appetizer, which is good, and some sushi in a plastic box.  I ate half of the sushi last night, and about 1/3rd of the hummus.  Tonite I finish off the sushi and dive into the Moosewood Cookbook noddles with a small pork chop on top.  I'm looking forward to it.

I just checked on the posting from my fellow bloggers, at least those that I follow.  It is good to see that there are some that are as remiss as I.  Together we make a readable blog but individually we are too infrequent to keep a reader's interest.  I have the ideas in my head, I just don't get them out the way I like.

BTW, I signed up for a free trial of SalesForce.com today.  As a key part of the software they acknowledge the Facebook and Twitter-ish nature of the way people connect and they integrate that into the way the software works.  And Google.  When you want to find something you need you call on your contacts to share their experiences, to make recommendations, etc.  Knowing this, why not mine the social networking sites and turn them to your advantage, or at least that what they are trying to do.  I signed up and logged in, but I immediately saw that this is something my kids understand far better than I do.  As usual I am behind the curve.

No comments:

Post a Comment